Every person in the world looks to improve the quality of life to the maximum
- Sometimes it’s an easy thing to do, and sometimes not so much. Moving to New York would help a loTo achieving the level where you can say you can fully enjoy whatever you might like! It’s a city that never sleeps, a city that gathers the most diversified cultures worldwide, and the city that offers you a chance to make enough money to live every day like it’s the last day of your life!
- Before you move to New York, there are certain things you should do to properly prepare. If you don’t you might find NYC to be a very stressing and hostile environment. Hence, let’s help you with a few tips on how to prepare and why you should do certain things we suggest you should..
NYC – One of the greatest cities in the world
- I know you heard this thousands of times, but it’s really true. New York is stronger than so many countries. Not only for the economy, but also for the culture, sports, nightlife etc. Whatever hobby you might have, whatever profession you’re specialized at, whatever kind of fun you might like – NYC offers different options for you.
- It’s a megalopolis that welcomes all the people ready to work hard, but also the people willing to improve their lives quality. Yes, people will seem strange right after you move to New York. Because nobody on the street will look at your direction or ask you how you are. But this is only because there are so many people on the streets, and nobody has the time to waste.
- When you meet New Yorker’s you’ll see how warm people they are, and how welcomed you’ll feel when sitting with them relaxed. During the working hours, everybody’s in the rush. This is just the way NYC works. But once you get used to that, you will realize why we claimed New York City is the best place on Earth.
How to prepare for a move to NYC?
- Preparations for moving to New York take more time and effort than an average migration. The reason is simple – this is that big city that you must take every step carefully, or you could regret it. To help people moving to New York City from different locations, we shall talk here about:
- Local relocation to New York- This is the easiest of the three kinds of NY relocations we’re gonna discuss, but it’s certainly not an easy thing to do!
- Long distance relocation to New York- Quite a demanding thing to do, given that, besides the usual things to do, you have a long distance trip ahead!
- International relocation to New York- Moving to New York from abroad takes a serious moving plan, commitment to doing every little step right, and a lot of patience, being that this kind of relocation might take months to properly prepare.
Moving to New York locally
- Let’s first discuss what’s the difference between local, long distance and international relocation. The distance is what determines if the relocation is local or a long distance one. Every relocation over 100 miles away is considered long distance. Hence, any relocation below 100 miles is a short distance or local relocation.
- However, a domestic and international move can be both- local and long distance. What determines whether a relocation is domestic or international? The borders. If you’re crossing the borders, no matter whether you’re moving 20 or 2000 miles, it’s an international move.
Now that we learned the differences between the terms, let’s talk about the local relocation to NYC. How should you prepare for a local NYC move? Well, here are some steps you should take:
- Hiring a local moving company
- Making a moving plan
- If you’re doing the packing, get the supplies and learn how to pack all the items properly
- Start doing everything on time
Hiring movers is an essential thing to do no matter the distance of your move. Moving to New York is a difficult task in any case. Having a professional help arranged means having a lot less troubles along the way. And avoiding troubles is the first thing you must make sure of when planning a relocation to the Big Apple.
How to choose a good local NYC moving company?
Get recommendations – asking your friends or family members would help a lot with finding the best Brooklyn movers
- Check the reliability of each company (watch for red flags, such as not owning the licenses, low-ball estimates, bad reviews etc.)
- Compare the service quality, picking only those offering at least satisfying quality ofg moving services
- Pick the most affordable mover
Another recommendation is to choose the local movers specialized in relocation to the NYC borough where you intend to move. For example, if you’re moving to Brooklyn, you should hire local Brooklyn movers to conduct your relocation. They know each neighborhood and each potential trouble that might appear. Having this kind of support will make moving to New York a lot less stressful venture!
A moving plan is what makes the difference between a successful move and moving troubles
- What should a moving plan contain? Well, every relocation is different. However, there are some things every person moving somewhere must do. Such as finding a new job, new schools for the children, arranging the housing in advance, canceling the utilities, notifying everyone that you’re moving etc.
- We suggest you sit down and thoroughly think what you must do before you pack and move to New York. After this (given that you should already have arranged a moving company) consult your movers. They will add everything you might forget to put on your ‘to do’ list.
- After you complete the list, make a detailed schedule of all operations. And make sure you give yourself enough time to finish everything. Be prepared for unplanned situations. You can’t plan when and what will happen, but be sure that at least some unplanned situation will appear along the way!
Who’s doing the packing?
If you plan on hiring movers to do the packing, all you need to do is decide what you’re gonna move, and what not. The rest will be taken care of by moving professionals.
- Otherwise, if you plan on doing the packing, prepare for it. First, de-clutter your home. Your NYC home is probably gonna be smaller than your current one. The reason is simple, it’s just so much more expensive place to live in. (You should de-clutter your home in any case, even if the packing pros will help you prepare for the move).
- After that, get the packing supplies and equipment. Such as moving boxes, duct tape, scissors, bubble wrap etc. Make sure you get all of this before the packing process starts, given that it would frustrate you to prepare for the packing and then realize that you don’t have the supplies… Another thing to do before the packing starts is to learn how everything is packed.
There are certain items you need to be particularly careful with. Such as valuable or fragile items. Moving to New York and breaking something you have an emotional bond with would be a thing you’d like to avoid, right? So we suggest you consult your movers and ask them for an advice for any of your belongings you’re not sure how to safely pack, disassemble or reassemble.
When is the right time to start with preparations?
- The right moment is the moment you find out you’re relocating to the City of Gotham. If you manage to finish everything days or even weeks before the move, it’s great, you’ll have enough time to spend with the people you love before you relocate.
- On the other hand, if you are late with something important, it might cause some big troubles that might cost you lot of money, or cause the delay of your moving date. Both things are something you should look to avoid. So, when moving to New York, don’t waste any moment!
Moving to New York long distance
- The things are more or less the same for all sorts of moves, so we won’t talk again about everything you should do before moving to New York City, NY. When making a long distance move, you should do everything we mentioned for the local relocation.
- So you should hire the movers, make a moving plan, prepare for the packing and start with the preparations immediately. However, there are certain things that will be different when making a long distance move to NY.
Here’s what’s different when moving long distance compared to local move:
- It will cost you more
- You should check the movers even more thoroughly
- We’d suggest you let the movers pack at least your valuables
The costs of a long distance move
- Even the calculation of your costs differs when it comes to long-distance relocation. When moving locally, you’re charged mostly per number of hours the workers are hired for your relocation.
- On the other hand, the companies mostly charge you based on your relocation size when moving to New York long distance. Given that there are some additional costs, the cost of long distance relocation is commonly significantly higher than the local one.
Picking a long distance moving company in NY
- You should check your moving company thoroughly no matter the distance of your move. However, there are some additional things to pay attention to when moving long distance. For example, your long distance NYC mover should have an appropriate license to do the long distance move.
- Besides this, an experience is quite an important factor, given that the distance is bigger and there are higher chances that a moving trouble appears. The experienced movers will solve the troubles easily. Or, even better, they’ll have a better know-how and prevent the troubles from taking place.
Packing for a long distance move- let the movers handle it
- Simply, the trip you must take is significantly longer, and there are much greater chances that some of your items will damage along the way. If you want everything to be transported safely, and without breaking or damaging, hire the NYC movers and packers to safely pack your items.
- If you still want to save some money, then pack the most of your belongings yourself, consulting the movers before that. But hire the movers partially, to pack the fragile items and the items of a greater value.
International move to NY
Moving to NY from abroad is surely the most difficult task. Aside from doing everything we mentioned for a local and long distance move, there are even more things to do when coming to NYC as an expat. So, picking the international mover, making a moving plan, learning how to pack, and starting the moment you find out that you’re moving are the things you must do. However, you should also:
- Learn how to get a work permit
- How can you become a permanent citizen of the USA
- Will there be some difficulties for your children when it comes to their education
- Are you allowed to purchase a real estate in the States