If you ask any professional NYC moving company what is the most important part of the relocation process, they will all tell you the same thing – planning. Because it is in the planning stage of your relocation that everything is worked out. From the choice of your movers to the moving date and prices – it all comes down to a good plan. And if you fail to make a NYC moving plan, there are consequences that you can encounter. But not to worry – because if you opt for the right NYC moving company, they will be more than glad to help. As people with experience in the moving industry, we learned that there are certain steps that you need to be trained for. And careful planning is just one of those necessities.
What is it that movers can do to help you make a NYC moving plan?
Basically, once you’ve decided on a NYC moving company and picked a moving date, you can leave everything else to them. If you choose a full-service moving type of deal, they will take care of everything:
- Packing. If you don’t have the time to pack your belongings – the NYC movers can do it for you. They will come by a couple of hours earlier and pack up all the stuff you want. And if you don’t have the packing material, most can help with that as well. There are NYC movers that offer packing supplies as part of their services, for the right price of course.
- Transportation. When we talk about NYC relocations, it’s important to focus on planning out the transportation of your belongings. The thing is that you want to avoid traffic jams to save both time and money. It’s just smart business logic. And so you need to let your movers plan out the optimal route from point A to point B. Especially if you’ve hired a local NYC moving company – they already know the city by heart, so planning the route comes easy to them.
- Unloading. The important thing to remember here is to avoid any unnecessary surprises. However, this can all be easily avoided by letting your movers make a NYC moving plan and scout out the new residence. And when we say surprises, we refer to:
- tight hallways and doorways
- broken elevator
- no parking spot
So all these are just some of the most crucial factors expert moving crews in NYC can help you out with.
How do you let movers help you make a NYC moving plan?
You do this by keeping an open communication from the very start. This is what will work best for you. There will, of course, be expenses that you will need to calculate on your own:
- Deposit and rent/down-payment for your new home
- Living expenses for the first couple of weeks
- Potential realtor hiring costs etc.
But on the other hand, there will be the expenses directly linked to the relocation process. Those are the cost that you need to plan out with the help of your movers. So we will go step by step to help you make a NYC moving plan structure in your head.
#1 Calculate the costs of moving services
This is the very first step for most relocations. In case the movers have some sort of online quote calculator, great! And if not, you can simply reach out, provide them with all the details (how many things, flights of stairs, distance…) and get an estimate. So it all boils down to being precise and detailed. What we would advise is making an inventory checklist, which you can then simply provide to your movers. This will not only help them make a NYC moving plan for you, but it will also help you keep track of your things before and after the relocation.
#2 Incorporate potential packing and storage costs
These are not always necessary moving services. You might want to do the packing by yourself, thus saving money on having your NYC moving crew do it for you. And the same goes for packing supplies – you can either purchase them from the movers or improvise – it’s totally up to you. But the important thing is to let your movers know, so that they might plan when to come on moving day.
When it comes to storage services, there might not be a need for it. It all depends on the space in your new home and how the relocation will go. But it is a good backup option to have when you make a NYC moving plan. And it is also something you can run by your movers, as they might be able to assist with NYC storage services for a certain fee.
#3 Count in insurance as part of the NYC moving plan
You don’t really want to risk the safety of your valuables. This is completely normal behavior and it is why you should consult with movers before singing a bill of landing. Your piece of mind should be guaranteed when you make a NYC moving plan. And it should be something your movers will look to help you out with as well. So inquire about the potential insurance packages that they might be able to provide you with.
#4 Exclude hidden fees and consult on unexpected costs
The main aim when you make a NYC moving plan is to be prepared for anything. And this is exactly why you have to count in every potential factor or liability. And this is where movers can help you, based on their experience in the moving industry. Who better than expert NYC movers with years of experience to give you an insight into unexpected situations? So in order to get the perfect plan in check, make sure to get input on:
- Hidden fees- these would include expenses not stated in the contact or simply fees that arise out of the blue. The best solution would be to check with your movers what kinds of situations they experienced with other clients.
- Extra costs- which NYC movers should always mention to you. Buildings without elevators, the required use of loading/unloading tools, climate-controlled storage facilities, lack of truck access etc. But most of these are negotiable and should already be stated in the contract you signed with them.