Are you moving to New York City?
- Congratulations! Before you move to this big and amazing city, you must be aware of some important facts. Moving can be an exciting adventure, but it is also one stressful process. And this process sometimes can be difficult to execute. This is why you need to be well prepared you need to do a lot of research. We are here to support you in all the investigation and planning.
- The reasons for your move to NYC can be diverse – for a job, for college, etc. But for every reason, you will find similar kinds of obstacles that you might experience. Be cautious when it comes to choosing a moving company NYC. That will help you avoid dealing with moving scams. Also, it will save your moving budget and moving costs.
You need to learn how to spot fraudulent NYC movers in order to avoid moving scams and frauds.
- Fraudulent NYC movers are companies that do not work with usual decent procedures. Because those companies are without insurance, unlicensed and uncontrolled, they don’t have to comply with any standards. Those rogue NYC movers may hold your things hostage, demand higher charges or operate in illegal conditions.
- Unfortunately, many people are victims of fraudulent NYC movers. Many people in New York are affected by these illegal moving companies. However,
- if you know the warning signs and are aware of the red flags, you can avoid moving scams and frauds. Here is a list of tips on how to spot fraudulent moving companies in New York City:
How to identify fraudulent NYC movers?
False certifications and moving reviews
- Rogue moving companies in New York know how important the initial research is when people are looking for a moving company. Because of that, they are making their own employees leave positive comments about the company itself.
They definitely want to fool more clients that they are a top-notch NYC moving company.
- They are claiming that their moving services NYC are the best. But, in reality, they are anything but that. In such case you should do the following:
- Go to several different online moving review websites you can rely on.Read what former customers had to say about the mover NYC you are considering to hire. Always take excessively positive reviews with a grain of salt.
- Ask friends, family members, and neighbors if they can recommend a mover in New York they have used in the past. This type of word-of-mouth advice is the most reliable form of references for movers you can get
How do they speak over the phone?
- When you call a certain moving company NYC, the person answering the phone should be polite and professional. You need to be cautious if he uses a generic greeting. Generic greetings are when they say “Movers” or “Moving Company” rather than mentioning the company name.
- Another sign to look out for is if you cannot get in touch with anyone. You could be transferred to an answering machine each time you call them.The message on the answering machine may be just as vague, this might be a rogue mover.
- Any reliable and trustworthy moving company in New York would provide its name, phone number, and a professional greeting on their answering machine.
Are they demanding large deposits?
- Trustworthy movers NYC won’t ask for large deposits or cash in advance. In most cases, you should give them the agreed amount of money after they deliver your stuff. Therefore, be very cautious if a mover wants you to pay them before they have delivered your things to your home. That demand may be a sign that they are fraudulent NYC movers.
- When the moving season comes, some reputable movers may demand a deposit to reserve the moving date for your move. Once you know you can trust the move, there is no need to panic. The company has no right to inquire that you pay that deposit cash. If you pay a fraudulent mover before the move, what is going to stop them from running away with the money?
There is no a legitimate moving company that would require huge amounts of money before any service is done.
Advice: Don’t give any money to moving company NYC in advance!
Are your items held as a hostage?
- Having your goods held hostage is the worst scenario that could happen when you are dealing with fraudulent NYC movers. This type of movers will ask you for money to have your things back. Things could get even worse if some of your goods are expensive or valuable items.
- Then, the fraudulent NYC movers could just disappear leaving no trace. These moving company scams are illegal. There are specific steps you should take if you become a victim of moving scams and frauds:
- Do your homework and learn all the steps to hiring a mover in NYC
- If you have become a victim of a moving fraud and you have your goods held hostage, don’t hesitate to notify the police.
- Pay attention if the mover you want to hire gives a particularly low-ball estimate. It may be easy to give in and hire a fraudulent NYC mover offering an attracting low-ball estimate. Even if they say that the price will be low, there is nothing stopping them from raising the price later on in the process. Moving scams are unregulated, so they have no obligation to you or any other authority. You must prepare well for your move to New York City.
Negative reviews on the mover’s website
- Another good way to identify a dishonest mover is to check if there are any negative comments on their website. Look the company up on the Better Business Bureau to see if other people have had negative experiences. Also, you can search online for other reviews about the certain moving company. There is no company that can ever please all of their clients. Therefore, if there are various negative reviews, it is best to avoid that moving company.