If you’re moving in the near future
- Knowing the average moving costs is not only important for budgeting moving expenses, but also to spot when you are being ripped off, and taken advantage of by rogue movers. That’s why hiring the right movers, who are fully licensed and insured is essential.
- Before you start shopping around for local movers in your neighborhood, brush up on your knowledge of average costs of moving to help you gain deeper knowledge of what to expect. Below you will find useful information that will help you get an idea of average costs of moving. Keep in mind that these numbers and circumstances are only to be used as a reference, not to be taken in literal context.
Average costs of moving
- What’s affecting your moving cost? It is important to first take into consideration all of the factors that can potentially contribute to your moving cost.
One of the MAIN factors affecting your moving rate is the DATE! What time of the year are you moving? Are you moving during the winter, when inclement weather drives prices down? Or are you moving during the busiest time of the year for movers, in the summer? Seasonal changes play a big roll in how much you will pay for your move.
Pro Tip â‡’â‡’â‡’Learn more on how to choose a moving date.
- Time it takes to complete the move
Unless you get a flat-rate quote for your move, the time (hours) it will take the movers to complete your move will be one of the main factors affecting the cost of your move. The minute they arrive at your current location, and begin the job to the moment you sign off on a contract to confirm the job is completed, you are on the clock!
The more helpers arrive to your home to help you move, the higher your rate will be. Larger or more complicated moves require more people to complete safely, adequately, and in a timely manner. The moving representative will be able to determine the number of movers appropriate for your move based on the information you provide or the information they gather if an in-house estimate is performed.
- The size of the move is not the only deciding factor when it comes to determining the number of movers to send for the job, the specific circumstances play a big roll as well. So even if you’re moving a 1 bedroom apartment, but it’s on a 5th floor walk-up, your move will require extra help. It is also important to note that although your rate with each extra helper goes up, the number of hours it will take to complete your move will go down! If you’re on an hourly rate, this will certainly have an affect on your moving costs, in a positive way.
Make Sure You Packing supplies
- Packing supplies, such as wardrobe, and china boxes will also have an impact on your final moving cost. It will depend on how many moving boxes you will need, and the rates of the boxes. Moving boxes come in a variety of styles and sizes, and therefore have different rates. Depending on the amount of boxes you will need, your mover may be able to offer you a packing kit. It is a package that includes boxes in different style and sizes at a reduced rate.
Do Your Home Work: Pack As Much As You Feel Comfortable To Pack
- Extra services such as packing, unpacking, or disassembly will increase your moving cost. Your mover will either charge you a separate additional fee or take it into consideration when establishing your hourly rate. Specialty services, such as piano moving, will also contribute to a higher rate. Such services require additional help, and equipment, and will therefore increase your final moving cost.
- Travel time
Local moves are usually charged anywhere between 1-2 hours travel time. Travel time is the time it takes the moving crew to arrive at your location from the mover’s terminal, and back to the mover’s terminal once they completed the move. Whatever the rate is per hour for labor is the same for traveling time.
When it comes to moving insurance you have two options to choose from that is provided directly from your moving company.
- The basic insurance also known as “released value protection” is included in your moving rate at no extra charge. While that seems like a great deal, the 60 cents per lb. mover’s liability may not suffice when it comes to your high value items. So if your $6,000 painting is damaged or missing, you will only get 60 cents per lb. for it. If it weighs 100 lbs. you will only receive $60.
- Another, more comprehensive insurance plan available is the “full-value protection”, the cost of which is based on valuation of the items being transported. If any of your items are lost, damaged while in your mover’s custody, your mover will have an option to either repair or replace the item. As well as pay for the items to be fixed, or make cash settlement to replace the item at its current market value.
Long Distance move
Rough estimates for different scenarios for long distance moves.
- Studio/One Bedroom: 100-250 miles between point A and point B. Shipment weight 2,000 – 3,500 lb. Total estimated moving costs are $2,000 – $3,500 without any additional charges discussed above.
- Two Bedroom: 100-250 miles between point A and point B. Shipment weight 4,500 – 6,000 lb. Total estimated moving costs are $3,500 – $6,000 without any additional charges discussed above.
- Three Bedroom and up: 100-250 miles between point A and point B. Shipment weight 7,000 lb. and up. Large moves are especially hard to estimate. Please contact your movers for more information.
- A move is considered long distance when it is more than 100 miles away from pick-up location, or crosses state lines. In addition to the factors mentioned above, the cost of long distance moves is typically determined by the weight of the load and the distance traveling.
- The mileage is one of the biggest factors affecting your long distance move. The longer the distance between point A and point B, the higher the relocation cost will be.
- Shipment weight. The more the entire shipment will weigh, the more you will pay for your long distance moving cost. This can be an especially significant indicator of how much you will pay for your move if you have a lot of heavy furniture, or just a lot of things in general. In which case, you may want to greatly consider purging some of the items you no longer use or need.
Rough estimates for different scenarios for local moves.
- Studio Apartment: 2-3 movers to complete a 4-5 hour move. Anywhere between $90 – $145 per hour. Total estimated moving costs are $450 – $725 without any additional charges discussed above.
- One Bedroom: 3-4 movers to complete a 5-7 hour move. Anywhere between $95 – $160 per hour. Total estimated moving costs are $665 – $1,120 without any additional charges discussed above.
- Two Bedroom: 4-5 movers to complete 6-9 hour move. Anywhere between $115 – $180. Total estimated moving costs are $ 1,035 – $1,620 without any additional charges discussed above.
- Three Bedroom and up: 4+ movers to complete 7+ hour move. Anywhere between $150 and up. Large moves are especially hard to estimate. Please contact your movers for more information.