It Is a Matter of Great Importance!
- When setting a moving date, it is a matter of great importance. It should not be done randomly. There are very logical reasons as to why. It is a topic of much importance and great consideration when choosing the date for your move. Which is cheaper, more convenient, and easier are important factors to consider. Do seasons play an important role? Should you move at the beginning or end of the month? On a weekday or weekend? There is not necessarily a right or wrong day to move, but you should carefully consider your options before making the decision that best suits your needs.
Choosing a particular moving date is directly related to how much you are going to pay for your relocation.
- Seasons – It should come as no surprise that summer is the most popular time of year to move. The temperatures are warm throughout the U.S. and children are out of school. While the summer can be the best time to move, it does have its disadvantages. More than 50% of all moving jobs take place during the summer. Therefore, moving rates in the summer are at their highest. Moving in the winter is ideal for getting the best rates, but the weather can be unpredictable. This decision is of great importance to get a more cost-effective quote when setting moving date.
- Beginning/End of month – A large number of moves are scheduled at the beginning and end of the month. This is mainly due to the rent of apartments. Most people try to live out their lease until the last day to avoid breaking their lease contract, which results in fees. These times of the month are the busiest and therefore carry higher rates. In order to possibly get a better rate and availability, if possible, try to have your move booked for the middle of the month.
- Weekends/Weekdays – If you are like most people, you are likely to work a nine to five job and have off on weekends. A weekday move will require you to take a day or two off, potentially resulting in a pay cut. Despite the fact, weekends are considered peak time, due to higher volume of people choosing to move on weekends. Resulting in a weekday move advantage, potentially offering cost benefits when you are setting moving date.
- Reputable moving companies tend to stay consistently busy, especially during the summer months and on weekends. This means moving companies, trucks and crew are tied up and busy. If you are planning your move during this period, plan far in advance with the company of your choice to secure your time and space. Avoid booking last minute and risk ending up with unreliable movers. If you are moving during off-peak seasons you should still choose your company a week or two in advance as most trustworthy movers stay relatively busy year round.
- Generally it is a good idea to start early in the morning ““ you will have more time through the day if the movers are late because of traffic, or the relocation takes longer for whatever different reasons. If you book in the afternoon, expect delays as the movers can fall behind at their morning job. Most people tend to book mornings; therefore booking in advance is essential to reserving your desired spot.
- Some condos and apartments restrict when people can move in or out. The main reason is to keep elevators and parking lots clear during high traffic hours. Ask your landlord or someone in the building what the rules are. Request exclusive access to the elevator to move your stuff faster. A lease agreement can limit your flexibility in when you move as well. If you are renting a place, check out the contract that you have. You may need to send a month’s notice for leaving and have the landlord’s approval before you go.
Having a flexible date to move definitely has its additional perks
- If your children attend school and you are moving locally on a weekday, you may not have to take your kids out of school. Not having to keep an eye on them will make your move easier and less stressful. You can focus on getting everything from your old home to your new home quickly and efficiently, without having to entertain your kids or reprimand them for getting in the movers’ way.
- If you are moving into an apartment complex or a high-rise, most people will be at work on a weekday. This will give you more privacy and less elevator and hallway traffic. The movers will have higher odds of easily navigating your belongings to your new apartment. Possibly getting the move done faster and more efficiently. Weekday move can also result in fewer cars on the street offering imminent parking for easy and quick unloading. These are some of the important aspects to consider when setting moving date.