May is National Moving month
May is national moving month, kicking off the start of the moving season, and the busiest time of the year for the moving industry. To commemorate this time, allow us to share some of the stats, tips, and what you can expect if moving during this time. Many people will be relocating their home or business this season, making this a perfect time to start organizing your upcoming move and planning ahead. Continue reading below for more.
Statistically speaking, around 40 million Americans of all ages move their place of residence annually. Although this number is a reflection of an entire year, a staggering 50% of all moves take place between the months of May and October. Also known as the busiest moving season of the year. Why all the hype you ask? Let’s take a closer look at some reasons why people are more inclined to move during this particular time of the year.
- The kids are off from school during the summer months. This makes it a great time to move home because you won’t have to take them out school. If you are moving long distance, moving during the summer is also beneficial because your kids won’t have to transition schools mid school year, which can be rough on them.
- Moving season is also vacation season. More people are inclined to take off from work during this time to relocate their home.
Pro Tip Vacation season is also the time homes are more likely to get burglarized. Learn how to protect your home while away on vacation.
- During these months your move is less likely to be affected, and/or postponed by inclement weather. Of course, there is the downside to moving during the warmer months, like scorching hot weather. Be sure to stay hydrated, and wear comfortable clothing.
Pro Tip Avoid wearing clothes made from polyester when moving. Moving requires a lot of physical activity, and wearing clothing made of cotton will allow you to stay cooler. Unlike polyester and other synthetic fabrics, cotton absorbs the sweat from your body and allows it to evaporate into the air.
What should you do?
- We can’t stress enough the importance of booking your move with as much notice as possible. As soon as you learn you are moving, start looking for moving companies in your area. This rule always applies, but is especially important to book at least a month in advance when moving during the busiest moving season. Good moving companies stay busy all year round, but they are especially in high demand during this time. Booking in advance will help secure your spot with a reputable company.
- The busiest moving season is a time when rogue movers are most likely to take advantage of unsuspected consumers. Be cautious when hiring a moving company, and due to your research. Because it is extremely easy nowadays to build a professional looking website, you will have to do a little more work than just checking out the company’s official website. A legit looking website does not equal legitimate business.
Pro Tip How to avoid moving scams
- Get at least three moving estimates. Beware of unrealistic low-ball offers that can cost you in the end. For the most part, the estimates you receive should not be significantly different from one another. Of course, there are legitimate companies that offer affordable rates, but if one is significantly lower than the rest, proceed with caution. More importantly, proceed to the next steps on this list.
- Make sure the movers are licensed and insured. Check the mover’s complaint history, accident report, and most importantly the validity of the license number at Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration.
- Better Business Bureau (BBB) provides history of complaints.