Skip to the content
Many New Yorkers think about making some changes to their homes.
- Considering that most of them live in smaller apartments and have a roommate, making a living space look bigger is pretty common. New York home renovation idea can help you achieve a new style of your apartment without spending too much money.
- If reliable moving service in Brooklyn helped you move to your new apartment, make some adjustments in it. With the following DIY New York city home renovation ideas, anyone can become a professional home designer.
Set the budget for your New York home renovation
- Before you begin your New York home renovation, think about how much money you want to spend. If you are on a tight budget, the following DIY ideas will help you out.
- For bigger renovation of your home such as changing hardwood floors, you just have to set some money aside. However, New York home renovation can be easy and cheap if you have a little bit of time and will.
Common problems in small NYC apartments
- Most common problem in NYC apartments is the lack of space. As it happens, many people live in smaller apartments in NYC because it’s hard to afford a bigger living space.
- Luckily, there is a way to solve this problem. Whether you live alone, with a roommate or a family, there is a way to get some extra space in your home.
- Speaking of affordable renovations, we’ll consider some of those you can make by yourself. Without hiring professionals, you will save more money and be more creative. Some of the most common affordable NYC home renovations are:
- Painting walls
- Restoring old furniture
- Separating walls
- Reorganizing cabinets
- Changing smaller appliances such as faucets and shower heads
Make use of what you already have
- Before making some changes in your living space, make sure to inspect and write down all the items you can use. If you have tools, older fabrics, and paint you can restore old furniture and make it look new.
- If the walls in your apartment are old and bumpy, covering the smaller breaks is not hard. Repaint the walls you want and give a fresh new look to any room.
Make some extra space in the room
- If you have some pieces of furniture you don’t have the use for, make it into a new piece of storage space. Set apart some old cabinet pieces and make some shelves out of them.
- Even better, make a nightstand for your bedroom. Use an old pillowcase to make some funky photo frames. You will have some new details to enlighten any space.
Restore old wooden surfaces
- This part of New York home renovation will be much easier if you have the right tools for reassembling wooden pieces. If you don’t have the workshop like the one in the garage, you can use basic tools like a hammer, some nails and wood paint. This type of renovation is the best for a DIY kitchen project.
- Before making a wooden piece of furniture, make sure you sandpaper it. When all the surfaces are smooth to the touch, paint them with wood paint and make sure they are completely dry. Assembling them into shelves is easy.
- Just take few of the boards and nail them together. Even better, you can nail every shelf separately and make an asymmetric library. If you don’t own many books, those shelves can be of use for some extra decoration details like photo frames and candles.
Think of furniture shapes and sizes
- If the main goal of your New York home renovation is to get some extra space. You can achieve that with just rearranging the furniture pieces. For example, try placing the side tables on both sides of your sofa bed and avoid the classic coffee table.
- Choosing the right rug shape is also important. If you want your room to look bigger, avoid covering the whole floor surface with a rug, and use a smaller, rectangle shaped one.
- For more space in your bedroom, the first step is not to overcrowd the room. Besides the bed itself, all you really need in a small apartment is one or two nightstands and a lamp. To make a room look longer, place the bed against the wall on the opposite side of the window, if possible.
Use modern fabrics for a fresh new look
- Using fabrics during your NYC home renovation so you can add interesting patterns as a decoration. Moreover, curtains can be used as a separator between two rooms. This way you can make two rooms out of one. Separate the bedroom from the wardrobe, or living room from the office area. It’s an easy way of making a home office if you’re on the budget.
Use every corner for extra storage space
- You might be thinking of adding some extra storage space in your bedroom or living room. That is always a good idea. Try placing hidden drawers underneath your couch in the living room. The same goes for the extra space under the bed.
- If you are lucky to have a staircase in a two-floor apartment or a house, the space under the staircase is perfect for extra storage. You can use it to build a library or as an extra space so you can store clothes in drawers.
Get rid of the unnecessary stuff
- The first and the last thing you can do while renovating your NYC home is to get rid of all the unnecessary stuff. If you have some items you need to keep but don’t have the room for, Brooklyn storage services can help you find a secure storage space. If you don’t overcrowd your home with too many items, it will look bigger and more spacious.