One sure thing can be said about New Yorkers, they’re always on the move!
- Although the average apartment lease in New York City is 4 years. 30% of New Yorkers change home every year, with numbers growing exponentially. In fact, according to the U.S. Census Bureau, New York City’s population has seen an increase of 2.7% since the year 2010.
- Even though New Yorkers are widely known to possess many great qualities, it is safe to say that being a pro at moving is surely one of them! But isn’t it true that even the pros need pointers sometimes?
- Indeed! While many New Yorkers may have conquered the act of relocation, and feel right at home in the fast lane, anyone moving home in a hurry can benefit from tried and tested moving tips.
- Moving in NYC: Last minute moving tips will help folks stay on top of their busy schedule, all the while tending to relocation obligations, because even the best multi taskers can get overwhelmed when faced with a last minute move.
Moving in NYC: Last minute moving tips
- As one of the top full-service moving professionals in NYC, last minute moves are all too common of a scenario for us. In fact, we perform such moves on a weekly basis. For New Yorkers it is a way of life.
Many years of expertise allowed us to outline the following tips to help folks that are moving in a hurry. It is no rocket science, but with so many other things to think about when moving in a hurry, it is nice to be reminded of what needs to done.
Notify proper authorities and people alike
- Time is obviously of the essence when moving home with very little notice. One of the first things you will want to do is notify all of the proper people and institutions of this sudden change.
- If you roommate with someone, as a large number of New Yorkers do. Let them know as soon as possible. As they will need to find adequate replacement, also on a short notice.
- If you’re renting property in New York City, notify your landlord. Check if the break in the lease will cause you to forfeit your renter’s deposit. Even if the building’s management does not require notice beforehand. Be sure to fix any functional damages that may cause you to lose your security deposit.
Pro Tip â‡’â‡’â‡’ How to decrease chances of losing your security deposit when moving
- Change of address takes time. Be sure to start the process as soon as you learn you’re moving. Let your service providers know of your upcoming move to schedule the transfer of utilities from your old home to your new one.
Sort, purge, and remove!
- The less you have to move, the better, especially since you don’t have much time to comfortably pack everything. The little time you do have should be used to sort and purge your home of anything you no longer need. If you plan on hiring licensed and professional moving company in NYC, be sure to purge your home first to avoid paying extra.
- Although hiring professional moving company in New York City is not mandatory, doing so will help you tremendously when moving in a rush in New York City.
- The truth is movers alleviate a lot of the stress associated with moving, regardless if you’re moving on a short notice or not. However, people that don’t have a lot of time on their side can benefit from their services even more so.
- Aside from the basic moving services, such as loading, lifting and transporting, full-service movers offer many additional moving and packing services.
If you make the decision to find the best movers near you in NYC, be sure to do so ASAP. Reliable movers with good reputation tend to stay fairly busy year round, but especially during the busiest season of the year, which is summer. If you worked with a realtor to find your new place, ask for recommendations on local moving companies.
Pro Tip â‡’â‡’â‡’ Pros and cons of hiring a realtor in NYC
Pack your stuff
- If you hired movers to do the packing for you, then you won’t have to worry about executing this time consuming, tedious task. Otherwise, depending on the time you have to organize your move, you should begin packing right away.
- Packing requires effort, and when partnered with very little time, can be quite stressful and tiresome. Ideally, if you had a month or more to prepare for your move, you would space out your packing, conveniently one room at a time, making sure to take frequent breaks. Unfortunately, that’s not the case with last minute moves. Last minute moves require efficiency in a timely manner. As you can see, it will be in your best interest to start packing straight away, but be sure to do so properly! You don’t want to risk something getting damaged from a sloppy packing job.