Skip to the content
You may not realize how much excess stuff you have in your home
- Until you begin to sift through all of it while packing for a move in NYC. At this point you’re probably wondering if it’s worth the extra effort and space in your new home or should you just get rid of it once and for all.
- Let’s face it, if you don’t use something often, or at least seasonally, then you should probably consider various options of disposal. Moving home is a great time to to de-clutter.
- Get rid of items that you just no longer need or use. You will need to identify these items, discard them through several of the methods listed below, and as result, simplify your load and move home in a minimalist way.
- While it may be tough at first, you will quickly learn the many benefits of minimalist moving. Continue reading below to learn more from the minimalist guide to moving in NYC.
Minimalist guide to moving in NYC
- It’s all about perspective! At first you may feel somewhat sad to have to let go of that old vase you haven’t used in ages. But look at the bright side! The more stuff you get rid of, the lighter your load will be.
- A lot of your moving costs are associated with the amount of things you have. When you hire one of the cheap moving companies NYC, you can expect affordability, but you will still need to be mindful of the size of your move.
The main factors affecting the cost of your move
- it will be one of the main factors affecting the cost of your move. The more items that you get rid of, such as your old and dusty vase, the fewer things your movers will have to take over to your new place, and the quicker they will be done with your move.
- Stay optimistic and think very carefully before deciding that you in no way can part with a particular item. Start small, get support from family and friends, and don’t forget to stay positive!
Decide what is staying and what is going
- Sorting and decluttering is an important step of any moving process, but it’s particularly paramount if you wish to be a minimalist! If you’re just starting out on this journey as a minimalist millennial and using your upcoming NYC relocation as a starting point, then you may certainly experience anxiety as a result.
Have enough time to go through everything
- It can be frightening to have to let go of so much in so little time. That is why you are highly advised to give yourself enough time to go through everything, being mindful not to rush the process.
- Sort through each room, and decide whether everything in it is genuinely serving a useful purpose. Ultimately you will want to decide what is making the trip with you to your new home and what is staying behind.
- Remember, if these items still have life left in them, you don’t have to throw them out! Think donation outlets and auction sites like craigslist, Ebay.com to help you through this process.
Don’t let guilt get in the way
- During your decluttering process, you are bound to go through the motions. Aside from sadness and anxiety, guilt is another big culprit that you need to watch out for. That lamp your aunt gifted you for your birthday a few years back.
- If you don’t love it or use, by all means get rid of it! If you’re concerned about her feelings, you can always let her know that you weren’t using as much, and decided to donate it to a family in need.
- She will surely understand your good gesture and if you have a feeling she won’t, just don’t tell her. Ultimately, you don’t want to hold on to something just because you’re worried that getting rid of it will hurt a loved ones feelings.
Realize that it is ultimately for the best!
- The best thing you can do throughout this process is keep reminding yourself that you’re decluttering your home for the greater good.
- Not only will you get rid of excess stuff, and potentially make a few extra bucks; you will also have the chance to make someone else’s life more fulfilling.
- Not everybody is fortunate enough to have every day necessities, and if you have extra, why not give to the people in need. Ultimately, it is a win-win situation, and that is exactly the kind of mindset you should begin this process with.