If you’re making plans to move to Brooklyn, you might have started to pack all of your things. Moving from one home to another usually produces a lot of waste. Everything from packing materials, moving boxes and unnecessary items that you dispose of can be a threat to the environment. While you’re searching for reliable movers in Brooklyn, make sure to do what’s in your power to keep the environment safe. You can find a convenient way to store items, appliances and pieces of furniture you will not move. Moreover, you can make a good use for them if you want to recycle. If you’re wondering how to reduce waste while moving, keep reading to find out.
Reduce waste in your home before the move
The best way to reduce waste while moving is to start doing it at home. If you want to keep the environment as clean as possible, you can do the following:
- Make a yard sale and don’t throw away items you don’t need. These could be clothes, toys, kitchen appliances and other items.
- While cleaning your home, use reusable mops, cloths, and sponges. If you take good care of them, you might use it to clean your new home again.
- Research the internet and find out how to reduce waste while moving. You will find many organizations selling moving boxes made from recycled paper. Also, try to find the packing material you have left from the kitchen and bathroom appliances. Find old newspapers to use them for wrapping fragile items.
- After cleaning your home, make sure to follow the instructions for disposing of cleaning products.
Recycle while you pack
The way you pack can make a big difference if you want to reduce waste while moving. If you choose eco-friendly materials, you’ll make sure to save the environment. Here are some packing materials you can use to reduce waste while moving:
- Cardboard boxes, newspaper and bubble wrap. These can all be used as packing materials. If you have some egg cartons left, you can use it for packing fragile items, just like the newspaper. If you have children, these cartons can be efficient for art projects, so make sure not to throw them away.
- Make a good use of jars and pots. You can use them not only for storing food. Glass jars and plastic containers are very useful for keeping all sorts of tools. This way you can be sure not to lose any screws, rubber bands, and nails. Use pots for packing some kitchen items that are not breakable. This way you’ll save space and extra moving boxes, but also reduce waste while moving.
- Don’t use plastic bags. Instead, use the paper ones. Plastic bags will most likely break during the move so you’ll have to throw them away which is not environment-friendly. On the other hand, you can recycle paper bags after the move.
- Use old towels and t-shirts to wrap fragile items. You can use them for cleaning after you unpack in your new home. Make sure you protect the environment while cleaning your home.
Reduce waste while moving
Even during the traveling to your new home, you can do things to reduce waste while moving. Especially if you’re moving the long distance. While long distance movers in Brooklyn are transporting your belongings to your new home, here are few things you can do:
- If you’re traveling a long distance, bring scrap paper for children to play games and draw. If you’re making stops during the trip, make sure not to leave any waste around.
- In case you’re moving during summer, you’ll probably need a lot of water to hydrate. The best way to reduce waste while moving is to use containers for keeping water or juice. If you still decide to buy plastic water bottles, make sure to refill them instead of buying the new ones.
- Try to find a moving company that uses fuel-efficient trucks. This way your belongings will reduce waste while moving.
Recycle after the move
After you unpack your belongings, make sure to recycle the packing materials you have left. The boxes you used for packing might be useful to your friends. Don’t throw clothes, linens and other items that you used for packing fragile items. You can clean the house with them, or give them to a local animal shelter. Some puppies will be more than happy to have comfy sheets to sleep in.
Use moving boxes for storing the items you don’t use every day. You can ask your movers to help you find a convenient storage space in Brooklyn. After you find the storage unit you like, try to use the boxes you already have from the moving.
Recycling wood and furniture pieces
Many people buy completely new furniture for their new home. There are plenty of things you can do with old furniture to reduce waste while moving. Whether you want to make a new furniture from the older pieces or give them away, it’s up to you. Whatever you decide, try not to throw them away.
- If you have old pieces of furniture, make sure to give them away to a company that works with wood. They can recycle and use the pieces to make a new product. If you have a yard, you can make a new patio table or a birdhouse.
- If you have some time and tools, you can adapt your old furniture to make it convenient for a new home.
- Pallets that many of us keep in the garage can be recycled, too. Use them for various woodcrafts and furniture making. There are plenty of ideas for making furniture out of pallets. You can make a new coffee table, a new bed or few shelves for your living room.