How to decorate your new home on a budget
Moving is not only time consuming and stressful but it can also get rather expensive. Although an overall costly process, there are many great ways of cutting back on expenses associated with moving. Once moved in, most people will want to transform their new home and their outdated furniture. In fact, decorating your new home can set you back hundreds if not thousands. Luckily, there are many great alternatives and ways you can decorate your new home on a budget, greatly reducing your overall moving costs. We have created a list of tips on how to decorate your new home on a budget.
- Knowing your budget will help you understand what can be done right now and what may have to be put off for the near future. You may not be able to decorate your entire home at once and will have to prioritize which area you wish to work on first. Creating a budget will allow you to narrow down your options and help you establish a course of direction.
- Try to have a clear idea of how you want your new home to look. Are there specific color combinations that you want to designate to each room? What furniture style and pattern do you have in mind? Do you wish to swap out some of your existing furniture for something new? It is a good idea to choose themes that are flexible and easy to work with.
- The right lighting is a great way to transform the mood, creating warm inviting spaces. Try updating an old lamp with a new lampshade. Another great way to add style and instantly transform any room is by placing two matching lamps on either side of a focal piece of furniture of that room, whether it’s your bed, sofa, or dining table.
- Simply changing the color of the walls can instantly create an entirely new feel to your home. Although paint is presumed to be inexpensive, it can quickly add up if you wish to repaint your entire home. You may want to consider painting one feature wall in each room. This will create a stylish focal point all the while sticking to your budget.
- You can add instant flare by simply adding a few throw pillows to either piece of your furniture that needs a quick, cost-effective freshening up.
- Mirrors are great for decorating your walls and space, a truly great alternative to inexpensive works of art. Mix and match different styles to bring elegance and style to even the smallest rooms. Try to look for mirrors with interesting frames, or make some yourself by buying frames separately and placing mirrored glass in them.
- Reupholstering a quality sofa or chair to match your new look will give your existing piece a makeover, completely transforming it into a statement piece.
- Buying an entire set of furniture can get be very expensive. It can prove to be more cost effective to purchases pieces separately to mix and match.
- By rearranging your furniture, perhaps swapping one piece out with another from a different room, you can create a whole new look and feel to your home. Take a look at what you already have available to you and see if you can apply the mix and match tip mentioned above.
- If you don’t mind shopping second hand, consider checking out certain estate sales, different stores that offer high-quality secondhand pieces and even garage sales to find one-of-a-kind pieces. This can be a wonderful way to find amazing pieces that cost almost nothing.