Moving expenses can add up
- Quickly becoming one of your largest monthly expenses. Luckily there is action you can take to cut down on your costs of moving home. Setting up a budget for your upcoming move will help you stay organized, in terms of finances, and our tips below will help you stay within that budget. To learn more, continue reading below our list of 6 Ways to cut down on moving costs.
6 Ways to cut down on moving costs
Choose the right moving date
- One of the easiest ways to cut costs on your next move is to simply choose the right moving date. When hiring a professional moving company, the date and time of your move can make all the difference, in terms of overall costs of moving. Because the demand for moving services is overall lower during the off-season, as well as weekdays, you can expect to pay a lower rate when moving on those dates.
- Generally “Off-peak season” is between the months of September and April. Weekdays are also more affordable because a large number of people tend to move during the weekend, when they are off from work. In an attempt to fill in the spots, moving companies will slightly lower their rates during the weekday.
- If you are looking to save money and move home on a budget, avoid moving during the “Peak season”, and weekends. The busiest time of the year for the moving industry is between the months of May and August, when the demand for moving services is at its highest. Moving prices can go up significantly during this time when compared to the off-peak rates.
Get multiple moving quotes
- Before hiring a moving company, ensure you are getting the best rate by comparing at least 3 moving quotes. Narrow down the best movers near you, making sure they are closely equal in terms of quality and rating. Proceed to get accurate moving estimates, and finally hire the company that satisfies your moving budget the most.
Pro Tip Average costs of moving
- Downsizing your belongings is easily one of the 6 ways to cut down on moving costs, especially if you’re being charged by the hour. The less you have to move, the faster your move will be completed.
- Sort and purge anything that you won’t be taking with you, and you are sure to save money on your upcoming relocation. This is especially important for long distance moves, the cost of which is determined by the weight of the load, and the distance being traveled from point A to point B.
Free packing material
- Moving boxes are not cheap, especially when used in bulk. They can easily set you back a couple of hundred bucks. While scavenging for free packing boxes is not highly advised, due to its compromising nature, it is a way to save on moving boxes.
- Begin your search by checking online sites like Craigslist first. Here you may be able to come across slightly used, quality boxes that still have wear left in them. People that have recently relocated and spent a fortune on moving boxes may post them on such sites in an attempt to return a small fraction of their investment.
- Be cautioned whenever using pre-owned moving boxes, whether from a local store, a friend, or stranger. Carefully inspect each box for damage, and pest before using them.
Pro Tip Moving box mistakes that can cost you money
- Although nothing beats the quality of professional packing services, it can certainly increase the costs of moving. Whether packing services are included in the hourly rate or are a separate charge altogether, by packing yourself you can cut the costs of moving. That’s to say if nothing is damaged as a result, requiring replacement.
- Another risk you’re taking by packing yourself is taking on all of the liability of the items. Movers are not liable for items that are not packed by them. Therefore, if you pack something and it is damaged during transport, you will not be compensated.
Deduct your moving expenses from your taxes
- Depending on your move, you can potentially earn a return on your moving expenses by deducting them from your federal income tax, further cutting down on moving expenses.
Pro Tip Learn if you qualify – How to get tax deductions for moving expenses.